It was not easy that November 1960. Argentina was never easy. He presided over the country Arturo Frondizi and, entering the issue of automobiles, the “battle of oil” was debated.

It is that the first president, in July 1958, had signed several contracts with North American oil companies that would operate on behalf of YPF to ensure that our country was supplied with hydrocarbons.

Per year, 350 million dollars of oil and derivatives were imported and Frondizi decided to eliminate this drain. Although he had to ask for help abroad and the price of the oil extracted was higher than the imported one.

In four years the quantity of “black gold” produced tripled and for the first time in history Argentina supplied itself with oil. With this achievement, industries also grew: between 1958 and 1960, steel production tripled and 140 million dollars were invested in petrochemicals between 1959 and 1961.

Then the occupation and wages grew, and purchases in installments took hold. Consequently, the middle class occupied a prominent place in the national economy. And the car, like the television, other appliances and apartments, became an accessible object. In 1955 about 341,000 cars circulated in Argentina, a number that increased by twenty percent five years later.

According “History of Argentina”, directed by Felix Luna For Crónica and Hyspamérica, “the purchase of a small or medium model leads to going into debt to later acquire the big one, and in this way, gradually, car payments become a substantial part of the family budget of middle-income Argentines.” The minister of economy, Alvaro AlsogarayA new winter had passed, as his plan stated and promised financial aid for twenty thousand taxi drivers to renew their fleet.

back. The dealer Juan Manuel Fangio, in the Cochabamba street of Buenos Aires, exclusively distributed the new Vespa 60, 150 cm3, “unsurpassed in technique and performance.” Ernesto Bessone, manufacturers for Latin America, offered the DKW with voltage regulator, circuit breaker and dynamo coil of Auto Union, and imported covers 275 x19.

Vianini Argentina presented the Lambretta Innocenti, with two models, 125 and 150 cm3 with maximum powers of 5 and 6 CV and autonomies of 385 and 340 km, respectively. Meanwhile, in the luxurious Plaza Hotel, Huberman SA and Vagiro establishments presented the Honda of national manufacture.

More information…

Meanwhile, that late spring, Dr. César Barreto, general director of Pledge Credits and Automotive Property, announced an upcoming re-registration of all vehicles given the growing economic importance of the furniture, to later proceed to the registration of the owners, with the identification of the vehicle and its owner.

The merchants of the branch, for their part, complained of many problems that half a century later have not disappeared: “deficit, bureaucracy, high taxes, legislative disorder in the union … that there are no privileges in the protection of the industry.”

With the euphoria of the sesquicentennial of the country, a new exhibition was announced, in this case, the International Motor Show. It would be held in La Rural but on a date that no one would currently consider appropriate: December 1st to 24th. The year closed with an optimistic automotive world, the same one that motivated the birth of a new magazine, who went to the front, like a “Windshield”.

You may also like

Image gallery


In this Note

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here